Current:Home > ScamsJudge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -EquityWise
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:33:06
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case, a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Daylight saving time got you down? These funny social media reactions will cheer you up.
- Josh Jacobs to join Packers on free agent deal, per multiple reports
- Utah State coach Kayla Ard announces her firing in postgame news conference
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Trader Joe's $2.99 mini tote bags now sell for $500 on eBay
- 'Madness': Trader Joe's mini tote bags reselling for up to $500 amid social media craze
- CM Punk returning to WWE's 'Raw' as he recovers from torn triceps injury
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Sen. Bob Menendez and wife plead not guilty to latest obstruction of justice charges
Ranking
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Michelle Pfeiffer misses reported 'Scarface' reunion with Al Pacino at Oscars
- Love Is Blind’s Brittany Mills and Kenneth Gorham Share Cryptic Video Together Ahead of Reunion
- Libraries struggle to afford the demand for e-books, seek new state laws in fight with publishers
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Una inundación catastrófica en la costa central de California profundizó la crisis de los ya marginados trabajadores agrícolas indígenas
- New Jersey lawmakers fast track bill that could restrict records access under open records law
- What's next for Minnesota? Vikings QB options after Kirk Cousins signs with Falcons
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
New York Yankees ace Gerrit Cole to get MRI on pitching elbow
The Oscars are over. The films I loved most weren't winners on Hollywood's biggest night.
Teen Mom’s Kailyn Lowry Shares Update on Coparenting Relationships After Welcoming Twins
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Alabama state lawmaker Rogers to plead guilty to federal charges
Biden releases 2025 budget proposal, laying out vision for second term
What is the most Oscars won by a single movie?